Saturday, April 25, 2009

Special Gift and City Garden

Recovery is a bit like a dance – two steps forward and one step back. When I have a good day I want to take advantage of it and I over do it. The next day I spend recovering from the previous day. It is amazing how tired the little things in life can make you. Just getting out of bed or talking on the phone can make me exhausted. The good news is that today should be a great day (since yesterday was a very painful day.) This will give me the opportunity to learn how to pace myself.

Everyone has a special gift. Really, we all do. Think about yours. My friend Laura’s special gift is making plants grow. Laura lives in Washington, DC and will be visiting me this weekend to create a pot garden on my patio. I am really looking forward to having a bit of a green oasis in the concrete jungle. Last year, I was able to grow a variety of herbs, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries (I really impressed Christopher when we first started dating and I made him salsa from my NYC vegetable pot garden). This year I hope to have some herbs and vegetables, but I would also like to focus on color (flowers.) Living in a four story walk-up during recovery is challenging and having a patio is a treat when you are limited on leaving the house. The patio will be my little color oasis.

By the way, so far I have been very lucky to have my indoor garden with all the get well flowers that I have received. Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes, thoughts, prayers, cards, books and flowers. They might be small gestures, but they have a large impact!

1 comment:

  1. A gardner, huh? Well, we learn things about you everyday through this blog. And yes, we all do have special gifts - I'm 57 and still trying to narrow it down...hmmmmm...but I know yours....being genuine. Not too many people can say that, you know. And remember what Dolly Parton said, can't appreciate the rainbows without putting up with the rain. Hang in there, girl. Glad you are moving forward.

    ReplyDelete