Saturday, March 21, 2009

More electrolytes

The ovary hyperstimulation syndrome has been harder on me than I expected. The pain in the morning is like having someone tear out my lungs and intestines simultaneously. I woke up Christopher screaming two days in a row.

I have been very good about drinking at least 8 oz of water or some type of beverage with electrolytes while I am up. At night when I am sleeping (I am so glad that I can sleep through the night) if the electrolytes get off balance in my body I develop severe pain. There is nothing that can be done except to wait for the pain killers to take effect and then wait for another 10 to 12 days for the condition to reverse.

I am getting used to the bed rest. Spring is here and the sun is out. It’s almost 11 am on a Saturday and by this time of the day I normally would have run 4-6 miles, walked my dog Nala, and gone to the market. Today, I can barely get out of bed. I love going to the Union Square Market in the morning to pick up lamb from the lamb lady, milk from Ronnybrook Farm and any produce that strikes me. By the time I will be able to go to the Farmers Market, Spring will be in full bloom and all the awesome colors will have returned. This is the beginning of my journey and I am getting attuned to a new way of life for the next several months.

I have been cancelling more get togethers with my friends than I have been able to keep. Yesterday, it was a lunch with a friend who is returning to Japan and today it is a dinner at a friend’s house at Yonkers. The hardest one has been Therese’s wedding, exactly one week from today. Therese and I have been friends for almost 10 years and for the last 10 years we have been there for each other through all of life’s events. Her biggest one is here and I am unable to make it. This is very frustrating and upsetting to me and I cry every time it crosses my mind.

Part of the reason that I have such a hard time is that I am discovering my limintations and my reluctance to accept being sick. Maybe I need to stop thinking about these as limitations and instead think of this as an opportunity to discover some of my past interests and new hobbies. Maybe I should pick up knitting again. (Don’t be surprised if this Christmas you get a scarf from me. If I start now I can get a few dozen done just in time.) This could be an opportunity to plan a two week trip for Christopher and me after everything is behind us. Maybe I can read a few books that are on my list.

2 comments:

  1. Carolina

    I am SO amazed by you! The brightness of your spirit and your sense of humor shining through while you are navigating through this. From reading this and knowing you I see and know You are well loved!! and I would love to plan some time to come see to you where and when its conventient for you.. than have you trek around..

    Thank you so much for sharing your life in this way. I know it is so personal but it is also so inspiring..to remember to sqeeze the joy out of each day and love it!

    be well and you will be on my mind this week love,
    christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Carolina,

    Thank you for sharing this with us. As long as you continue to reflect on everything as you have, you will come through with a remarkably new outlook on life. You are one of the more positive and upbeat people that I know, but now you are just outshining yourself. You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday, and I LOVE your Spring in full bloom analogy! It's too cold still, you're not missing much :) xoxo Maria
    P.S. I recently started crocheting again. Maybe we can start a meetup!

    ReplyDelete