Thursday, May 7, 2009

Triangles are Good!

This is a big day for me. Today was the first day in about 4 weeks that I was able to wear my regular clothes AND take the subway all by myself to a doctor’s appointment. Writing these words makes me feel like I am a 5 year old; however, for me these are some delightful accomplishments. Think about it…NYC Subway (the crowds, the stairs, the crowds, the humid air, and the crowds) all on my own. If you can survive the subway you can really survive anything! There was a song about surviving in NYC (not the subway, but NYC.) If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. I believe that is the line, but then I am getting off topic.

The incision on my stomach is about 12 inches long. It is healing better than I expected. The part that I did not expect is all the wavy parts on my stomach. No one ever tells you this stuff. I was so focused on the incision that would be left as a reminder that I never imagined the shape of my stomach would change. Rather than being a half dome like most people’s, MY stomach is more of a triangle. They just don’t make clothes for triangular stomachs. Since the incision is still healing, it is very sensitive to touch and presents a challenge when I attempt to wear regular clothes instead of my workout clothes. My doctors are trying to reassure me that both of these things will change over time. The question is in how much time?

3 comments:

  1. I have curly hair, and when my ends are trimmed I have a topiary shaped like a triangle. Go wavy tummy! I just watched a video about you at Brooklyn Blogfest 2009 in DUMBO (Powerhouse Books). You're amazing! All my good vibes sent your way.
    Abbi Crutchfield
    www.curlycomedy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweets,

    So good to see you last night, see how good you look and read ow much better you feel. I agree with you, if you survive NYC (and specially the subway system), you survive it all.

    Let's get together next week.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carolina,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    and how is your belly? mine is shaped like an Egyptian pyramid right now :)
    A big hug and stay well.

    ReplyDelete